Article reveals shocking email exchange:

The Edinburgh Evening News has revealed deeply concerning attitudes to staff and Trade Union representatives within the HR dept of Edinburgh College. 

The article centres around the treatment of our Branch Secretary Penny Gower and the parallels with our colleague and EIS-FELA Health & Safety Rep Kevin Scally. 

However unlike Kevin, Penny was eventually redployed into a lecturing post after the branch members overwhelmingly voted for strike action.  

The following exerpt from the Evening News article reveals that redeployment was far from the colleges intention:

"Ms Gower told the Evening News: “After I was told I was going to be made redundant I was encouraged to apply for a position at the commercial spa as a pool cleaner. I have cerebal palsy. I wouldn’t be able to do that job and they were well aware of that. This was discrimination, no doubt. It was a horrible time."

But after finally being redeployed, Ms Gower, 73, then received a copy of an email from human resources which stated that ‘unfortunately, a job has been found for her’. The email seen by the Evening News also said ‘if I was in your college I think I’d be up for murder’.

The article can be read in full here: https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/people/edinburgh-lecturer-with-cerebral-palsy-humiliated-after-being-told-to-apply-for-pool-cleaner-job-4346454




Comments